To inspire a love of music throughout our community.
To give people, especially children and youth, the opportunity to develop their creative musical potential in an inspirational and affordable community environment.
We affirm that the HSM is about offering:
- An opportunity to learn music in a fun and enjoyable learning environment
- Achieving progressive accomplishments in music
- Making new friends
- A community organisation
- Involvement and support of parents
- Tuition at an affordable cost
We believe that:
- Music is a vital part of a child’s education and development
- There is talent in our community that needs to be nurtured
- Parent involvement is essential for a child’s musical progress
- Participation in music is a stimulus for the mental health and well-being of all people
- The skills, talent and commitment of our tutors are central and key to the Howick School of Music’s success
- We contribute to the development of community trends and needs in music
Who can join?
- The Howick School of Music offers lessons to the wider community of Howick, Bucklands Beach, Pakuranga, Botany Downs, East Tamaki and nearby suburbs.
- We provide group lessons to children 5-12 years of age and private tuition for the advancing student 13 years and older.
- We offer music lessons for the following instruments: Guitar, Drum-kit, Violin, Keyboard/Piano, Cello, Viola, Double Bass, Harp, Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Saxophone, Bassoon, Trumpet, Trombone, Horn, Recorder and Music for 5-6 year olds.
- We are also home to the Howick Youth Orchestra and HSM Concert Band as well as providing orchestral and band opportunities for younger players.